There is a mainstream narrative:
• Problem: There are dangerous and unruly classes and countries
• If let loose life becomes brutish, nasty and short for all
• Remedy: Economic-military-political-cultural rule from above
• If vertical enough we get pax by rule of force, balance and law
This book challenges that and argues an alternative narrative:
• Problem: There are traumas and conflicts to be mediated
• There are cooperative equity and harmony projects to be built
• Remedy: Mediate traumas and conflicts and we get negative peace
• Build equitable projects with harmony and we get positive peace
Johan Galtung, born 1930 in Oslo, is founder of the TRANSCEND Peace Development Environment Network in 1993 and founder and rector of the TRANSCEND Peace University.
He is engaged in research and mediation, has published 150+ books (86 as sole author, 135 translations, 34 languages) and mediated 150+ conflicts. He lives with his wife Fumiko Nishimura in Spain, France, Japan and USA.
Publications from TRANSCEND University Press:
No. 1 Johan Galtung, 50 Years: 100 Peace & Conflict Perspectives
No. 2 Johan Galtung and Paul D. Scott, Democracy - Peace - Development
No. 3 Johan Galtung, 50 Years: 25 Intellectual Landscapes Explored
No. 4 Johan Galtung and Graeme MacQueen, Globalizing God
No. 5 Johan Galtung, The Fall of the US Empire - And Then What?
No. 6 Jack Santa Barbara, Fred Dubee, Johan Galtung, Peace Business
No. 7 Johan Galtung, A Theory of Conflict
No. 8 Johan Galtung, A Theory of Development
No. 9 Johan Galtung, A Theory of Civilization
No. 10 Johan Galtung, A Theory of Peace
No. 11 Ramon Lopez-Reyes, Archetypes of War and Peace
No. 12 Joanna Santa Barbara, Johan Galtung, Diane Perlman, Reconciliation
No. 13 Johan Galtung, Deep Culture, Deep Structure, Deep Nature
No. 14 Johan Galtung, Peace Economics
No. 15 Abbas Aroua, The Quest for Peace in the Islamic Tradition
No. 16 Johan Galtung and Dietrich Fischer, Peace Mathematics
See www.transcend.org/tup, also for orders.